Search

Week 20-24

Updated: Sep 4

Animations- Week 20/24


The animations were a big challenge. My animation experience is limited and knowing what I wanted would exacerbate my limited knowledge.


I started with the map animation. I knew I wanted to make a zoom-in feature to the design. I started by first finding a map design I liked for the animation. I went to Snazzy maps to find a style I liked.


After collecting the image a worked on the development of the infected zone. I looked at doing just a red and amber zone for the area, but soon realised I wanted some definitive lines.






The map zoom became the biggest challenge. No matter how many tutorials I watched, I simply was not skilled enough to make the changes needed. I luckily discovered Google had a web app that did this. It was a compromise to the design I wanted but I would rather have the zoom-in than not.


The map zoom became the biggest challenge. No matter how many tutorials I watched, I simply was not skilled enough to make the changes needed. I luckily discovered Google had a web app that did this. It was a compromise to the design I wanted but I would rather have the zoom-in than not. Although I scrapped the red and amber flashing, I went back to it as I felt it finished the animation off.


With so much time lost, I scrapped the third animation of the two infected areas. Opting to place it in the map animation. I don't feel it took away from the rest of the animation, and I was simply out of time to develop a new animation.


For the virus animation, I sketched out an outline of what I wanted. One of the first tasks was to find assets I could use to make this animation. I downloaded some anatomical vector stock, for editing. I wanted to create this idea of the virus spreading throughout the body. As the virus I had decided to use would be one that attacks the muscles of its host I looked at illustrations of the muscles to show infection. I decided, however, that this wouldn't look right or engaging. I decided to use a bit of creative license on this and have the virus run a system of nerves within the body. To have this animation took some hours to execute. Luckily I was happy with the outcome of this.



I further wanted to show the ways to contract the virus, for this I illustrated the arm and face to show how the virus will infect someone. For the arm, I did a bite and face adding mouth and nose. I illustrated virus spores to enter both areas, this became a challenge, like the map animation, through inexperience in the software.



I would later explore creating a more photo-real, rendition, but due to the time needed I knew that this option was not possible in the time left. This would be something I might consider if I continued this project past the submission.



 

With the poster designs, the idea is for them to reflect the animosity of the outside world toward the refugees.


The first design I decided on, I liked the style of the influenza design in Apocalypse Ready. I wanted the design to be a representation of a movement for discrimination against our refugees. My idea was to create a misrepresentation of the virus in those who have left the evacuation zone. with the subject half looking like a stereotypical zombie.


I collected some stock images of a subject for the poster. Selecting one, I moved to photoshop to create my half zombie. using some filters and creating some parts from other images collected I made my zombie.


For the typography, I wanted the fonts to all work well together, so I used Anton as my heading and source sans for the body, the same as the app.



For the SHUT THE DOOR! poster, I originally thought for it to be another political poster. I, when searching other images, come across a chained-up door, that I felt would make a powerful image for the poster. Sticking with Anton for the heading I worked around placing the artboard. During this process, I felt this would work better if the poster was made more like a protesters poster. I changed the type to Grot Rough, the same as the lock-up, so it had a more handmade feel. I started to explore using padlocks in the now plain poster. I finally decided on a padlock and chains in the design. As an exhibition piece, this would work nicely as a screen print.


I would finally decide that the posters would not be in the physical space of the experience and would be moved into the digital space of the project, as news stories. Possibly, writing news articles on the images is not necessary to how the images work to the audience. I did feel that the images in the outside world worked better than physically inside the space.




 

For designing the lock-up. The goal was to capture the feeling of the experience. Looking through The Noun Project, using key words of what the experience was to grab an idea of visualising what its like to flee a war zone:

  • Fear

  • Escape

  • Killing

  • Anxiety

  • Desperation

  • Racism

  • zombies


One of the letter forms used for a lot of the work building up to this was Anton. This was a tall bold type, which works well with this genre. Experimenting with new letterforms to discover if they gave the same tone of voice.




8 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All