Search

Week 17

Updated: Jul 28

This week I started with a tutorial with Ben. He gave some great advice on the project, as I was beginning to produce the artefacts and not considering the experience of the event. Ben suggested reading Scenography explained to gain a better understanding of an immersive experience.





Scenography Expanded gives case studies on installions, one in particular that stands out to me is Rimini Protokoll's situation rooms.

The targets of the exhibition are

- Immersive experience

- Interactive

- Point of view and perspective

- Agency


I decided to start doing a basic mock-up of the feel of the event. For this, I looked at how the audience possibly could experience it and ideas I feel could really help them understand the feelings of the refugee. My idea, as I have not secured a space, was to just use a basic layout that I can edit to fit a physical space later on.



Using foam board, I created a space and made some partitions. I feel the idea of having people randomly experience the space from different perspectives would help generate the idea of 'why am I different'.

With the partition, I was drawn to the idea of an escape route. I think as interesting commentary, it would be interesting to see what participants would break through to have a 'better' experience. I also think the idea of having the inside part of the experience to be a lot more narrow and claustrophobic, potentially increasing the idea of desperation to want out of the exhibit.






I created a Pinterest board for ideas on how to set the tone of the exhibition, https://www.pinterest.co.uk/designertimmy/exhibition/. This will help not only the aesthetic approach to the exhibits, but also with ideas of the artefacts within the show. As thee concept is dystopian/end of the world, I feel that the use of items like metal fences (https://www.nationaltoolhireshops.co.uk/product/heras-fencing-hire/?srsltid=AQP2TeOh7b5yL8z1FrY4ROkeJSq0RJQzxAy0SN2MYeDxkAKK6VN6zVdH5qQ), could help give this appearance for the exhibit.

This could help towards the feeling of exclusion, as the audience will still be able to see what's happening on the other side of the exhibit.



Using my laser cutter and a scalpel, I started to cut some shapes to be a representation of the furniture of the exhibit. This worked to help further idea generation to the project as I started to gain new ideas of how the installation would work.


I made a stop motion, to track how I perceive the installation to work for the audience.






In a peer-to-peer session with Emma, from my cohort, she suggested that I look at Forensic Architecture. This has been a great suggestion, on how to create some exhibit pieces within the exhibition.





















18 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

This week I started with the development of the application for the experience. One of the first tasks I take on is creating the actors within the application. I originally was planning on using one c